Pregnancy, Childbirth & New Mothers
'Thank you so much for accompanying me through my pregnancy. Right from the very early stages, you really helped give me confidence in myself and to make it a very positive experience, especially given my previous recurrent miscarriage history. I am real convert to acupuncture and have been suggesting it and recommending you to anyone I know who is pregnant, trying to get pregnant and just generally anyone with aches/pains or stresses and anxieties! I have really experienced the benefits of acupuncture and your tailored integrated treatments - I really hope others can too.' Bela Nunes-Edwards, Surrey
'I only discovered Tyler half way through my pregnancy which was a shame as once I started
treatment with Tyler my symptoms ( heartburn/nausea/SDP and an irritable bladder) greatly reduced. Tyler was also extremely effective in helping my post partum headaches/migraines and muscle pains. I also found my weekly treatment with her very relaxing and reassuring as she has a wide medical knowledge. It was wonderful through pregnancy and thereafter to have such an accepting and wise person to share your hopes and fears with. I could not recommend her highly enough'
Alexandra, London ( mother of 46 who had an egg donated baby)
Pregnancy is a special state. It is exciting, wonderful and transforming. However, it can also be a challenging and stressful time. The surge of hormones, the growth of the baby and quick changes in the woman's body means that the majority of expectant mothers struggle with aches and pains, morning sickness, fatigue and other discomforts that are hard to alleviate. It is also a time when she starts to think more about her overall health and being fit and well. Acupuncture is a gentle and excellent way to harmonise and promote maternal and foetal health and can safely be used throughout all 3 trimesters. Some women will also choose to have an acupuncturist present at their birth as both a labour support and as a professional who can positively affect labour pain and ease the delivery of the baby to encourage a natural birth.
Traditional Chinese Medicine offers specialised support for pregnancy and post natal care. Using treatment to nourish preconception and natal health is preventative and reduces problems in pregnancy and shortens recovery. Today, as its benefits have become documented, it is even being used by acupuncturists and trained midwives in many maternity clinics worldwide.
- Antenatal Acupuncture is able to nourish good health and helps to treat a wide range of specific conditions such as morning sickness, pain, anxiety, heartburn, fatigue and other discomforts.
- Pre-birth Acupuncture to help prepare the body for birth.
- Acupuncture and moxibustion to help to turn breech and posterior babies.
- Acupuncture to support natural labour induction.
- Acupuncture for Childbirth.
- Post-natal Acupuncture for recovery and breast feeding.
- I teach acupressure and massage for labour plus other simple supportive techniques to labour partners to facilitate a calm and natural labour and promote pain relief.
- Structural Integration: S.I is a unique, systematic method of bodywork and movement education, which releases both deep and superficial stress patterns in the human form, freeing it from accumulated tensions stored in the soft tissue and joints. This results in both restoring better posture as well as conferring numerous positive effects to the person's overall physical and emotional well-being.
- Integrative Pre & Post-Natal Bodywork: I am also able to integrate bodywork for those conditions that respond to an combined treatment approach, such as addressing the postural demands of pregnancy to relieve aches and pains, fluid retention, cramps and sciatica. Integrated post-natal treatments are able to re-stabilise the pelvis and core muscles to realign the body and are able to relieve musculoskeletal discomforts.
The Benefits of Acupuncture & Bodywork During Pregnancy
- Relief from the postural changes that occur as the pregnancy progresses.
- Relief from the discomforts and musculoskeletal demands of pregnancy without medication.
- Nourishes the foundations to support the long term physical and emotional health of the mother and baby.
- Provides an environment of relaxation and a safe place to talk over fears and concerns.
- Helps promote sleep and eases fatigue in pregnancy and postnatally.
- Stabilises hormone levels.
- Empowers the mother-to-be in her birth experience and increases confidence in her abilities to cope.
- Encourages optimal foetal positioning.
- Provides strategies for coping with pain in labour and involving the partner in the experience.
- Treatments that help prepare for labour and during labour have been shown to reduce labour times, decrease the need for medical intervention and encourage easier childbirth.
- Treatments during labour: decrease anxiety and increase positive feelings about the birth experience.
- After childbirth: helps to prevent postnatal depression; offers support and remedies for problems with breastfeeding and helps promote postnatal recovery and healing from any birth interventions.
- Addresses stress and anxiety and provides support for the emotional demands of the new mother.
- Returns the body to a pre-pregnancy state quicker and can support weight loss.
- Can provide a safe environment to talk through the birth experience.
- Allows the mother to have time to relax.
Read more on research on Acupuncture in Pregnancy
Acupuncture is effective at relieving Pelvic Pain during Pregnancy
I am an Associate Practitioner of the Women's Natural Health Practice and a former member of the Acupuncture For Childbirth Team, London a network of practitioners specialising in the field of Obstetric Acupuncture. I have studied and continue to undertake professional postgraduate training in obstetrics, fertility and gynaecology. I have also studied Pregnancy Bodywork with Suzanne Yates of Wellmother and have trained in Structural Integration and Remedial Bodywork.