Cupping involves the application of therapeutic glass cups to the skin to create a vacuum. They are retained or manipulated (glided or re-applied) to invigorate the flow of Qi and blood through the meridians. The suction created by the cups and their drawing and dispersing action is able to affect superficial and deep tissues and vessels to treat many disorders effectively. It is normally used as part of a treatment with acupuncture and/or bodywork.
What Can Cupping Do?
Cupping improves the circulation of blood and fluid in the muscles and tissues, stimulating the healing of inflammation and releasing tension, pain and stiffness. Its local action may have an effect on trigger points (bands of adhered tissue that cause referred pain due to the exciation of nerves).
Cupping mobilises and relaxes soft tissue, addressing pain and movement dysfunction.
It stimulates the lymphatic and blood circulation and releases toxins and increases cellular renewal.
What can Cupping help to treat?
- Musculoskeletal conditions, pain relief and injury: particularly back and shoulder pain and
- Digestive complaints: indigestion, constipation and IBS
- Insomnia, anxiety, stress and fatigue
- Respiratory conditions: bronchitis; chest conjestion, colds and influenza; bronchitis, asthma
- Chills and fever
- Gyncaecological conditions: painful periods, infertility
- As part of a weight loss treatment or detox protocol